Upcoming Webinars: Scroll to bottom for information about my Three Secrets to New Donors From Facebook. With GotoWebinar restricted to 1,000 attendees per webinar, and nearly 800 registered already - you better be quick if you want to come!
It is great to see that the techniques we learned in direct mail seem to apply in the digital space too.
I reckon that in direct marketing, nothing has actually changed in how the 'offer' works. Just we deliver it differently with different technology.
Soi Dog Foundation - a dog pound in Phuket, Thailand - is leading the way in Facebook direct marketing. Raising nearly $8,000,000 through Facebook so far AND achieving amazing advocacy goals they are one to watch.
Here I have just a few of the 'direct mail on Facebook ads' and posts they run.
1. The Soi Dog Facebook page today. No messing, straight in with a strong offer.
2. Classic strong headline, 'person' in need looking straight to camera, clear offer of what you can do.
3. And again, strong headline, 'person' in need looking straight to camera, clear offer of what you can do.
4. Make the donor the hero. Literally.
5. Consequences of not giving made very clear. Great before and after imagery. If you dig through archives you'll find an ad like this somewhere in a magazine, direct mail or newspaper in the 1960s.
6. Classic two step. Get a lead and convert them. Not dissimilar to the long running 'improve your memory' and 'free investment guide' that appeared in newspapers 1950s-1980s.
Zooming in on the live Facebook page, I noticed 1,008 people reached within 31 minutes of posting this. Amazing.
If you are serious about raising money online, read the old stuff - all of Mal Warwick's old direct mail stuff, Ogilvy on Advertising and more.
I will be presenting a webinar (actually three, for different timezones) in early September about how to acquire donors on Facebook. I hope you can come!
These ones are aimed at people in Europe and Americas (don't worry, people in Asian, Australia, I'll repeat the webinar later - though nighthawks are welcome!).
You can register here by clicking on the date that suits you.
7th Sept - 6am Sydney, 4pm New York, 9pm London.
10th Sept - 9am New York, 2pm London, 11pm Sydney.
17th Sept - 7am Sydney, 9am Auckland, 2pm LA, 6pm Rio, 5pm New York, 10pm London.